Friday, March 11, 2011

Update at the Midway Point

Covering a beat is not the easiest task for a journalist. It is time consuming, exciting and, at times, a little dull. However, I have enjoyed writing about my beat, the Greeley City Council, this semester. This topic is something I find interesting because not many people follow local politics and are usually unaware of the issues in their communities. I have written two stories this semester. The first was a day-in-the-life story, where I spent a day aboard the UNC Bear Bus. It was interesting seeing the types of people who use public transportation and those who are occasional users. The second story I wrote was a profile piece on Robb Casseday, the newest City Council member. This story was interesting to write because it allowed me to know Casseday as a person instead of solely as a councilmember. I enjoyed completing both of these stories; the only aspect of these stories that I have disliked thus far has been the video assignment for the profile piece. I think the things that I have done consistently well would be either my interviews or my observations. The one thing that I can improve upon is not leaving my assignments to the last minute to complete. I am looking forward to the rest of the semester so I can continue to report and learn about my beat and the people on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment