Tuesday, December 8, 2009

“This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

Most journalism classes deal with the typical writing stories, editing, designing and how to put all of those aspects together into a cohesive unit. However, this class was different. It never occurred to me that I would learn so much about local government, not in a political science class, but instead in a journalism class. This class incorporated how to create and update a blog, as well as, the creation of a class Web site.



This class helped to reinforce what I had learned during my internship, and it helped act as a guiding force into the real world of journalism. For students planning on taking this class, do not do so with a light heart; be prepared to work for your grade. The one thing that I do wish that we would have done is covered different types of city government.



One of the most difficult aspects of this class is setting up interview times. This class only met once a week, which makes procrastinating that much easier. When writing stories and setting up interviews, the sooner it is done, the better. The council members are busy, but they are willing to work with you.



If I had known all of the work that was involved with this class, I probably would not have registered for it, but the assignments were done in a manner that wasn't overwhelming. I am glad that I took this class because it provided real world experience in an educational setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment